Monday, September 29, 2008

"All teachers are the same"

"All teachers are the same, Miss. They are all out to get you." This is something I heard today from a very angry and resentful Grade 12 Essential level student. I saw him in the hallway right before my class (that he happens to be enrolled in) and motioned him to come inside. "One second miss, I have to go outside for a cigarette. I will be there in 20 minutes" I resent the fact that students happen to believe that school is an incovenience for them or a drive thru lane in life. They all want the McGrade, the Happy Meal version of life. I proceed to talk to the student who tells me that all teachers are the same. That I know his reputation and have judged him. Not true. I am judging him now, because he has chosen to go out and smoke a cigarette instead of actually showing up for class. As bad as this seems, my class would be great if he chooses not to make an appearance everyday. These kids like to cause me a lot of unecessary paperwork.

I really like teaching--but its all the administration, paperwork and annoying little things that probably cause a lot of teachers to go insane. I am slowly but surely getting there. I just have to have patience.

Praying for patience.

No comments: