Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Supposedly I'm a racist...

Well well. Everyday these kiddos come up with something new. I am teaching my Grade 10 Academic classes, "To Kill a Mockingbird", which happens to have a very rich historical background--specifically to do with racism. I was talking about the KKK in the 1930s and how it (the organization) had grown in strength during the 1910s and 1920s. In my first period class, they said, "Hey Miss, did you know that the KKK still exists in G------?" They happened to be referencing my hometown. "No guys, cmon thats just hearsay...I actually live in that town." Let's keep going and the subject was changed and I kept on teaching. In my fifth period class, I was teaching the same thing, and the same sentence came up, "Hey Miss, did you know that the KKK still exists in G------?" My response again was, "Guys, cmon. Not true. I actually live in that town" One of my brightest students (also one of the biggest smart alecks too), responded: "How am I surprised by that?" I kicked his butt so fast out of that class, he didn't know what was coming.

Needless to say that was an interesting conversation in the hallway. Some of my less bright students did not understand why I was angry. They must not have understood what he implied. I'm not racist, nor will I ever be.

Hmm, but isn't everyone a little bit racist sometimes? (This is meant as a joke--- take a look at the musical Avenue Q and you will understand)

Another exciting day at the office.

1 comment:

Laura said...

there's definitely some kind of kkk action in acton (or there was until very recently). we watched a movie featuring some very young (c. 18 year old) ring leader and others in religion class in high school. people were shocked/laughing. oh, those pockets of southern ontario hicks.