Sunday, February 22, 2009

Old Cat

I've lost many people in my life. But the feeling that fills me these days is nothing like that I have felt before. I had to put down my cat of almost 14 years this past Wednesday. The strange thing about this is that-- it was my choice. It was my personal choice to end the life of my dear old cat. My cat was sick, to the point she wasn't her old bitchy self anymore. And that made me sad. It actually still makes me sad. This cat literally accompanied me through my childhood, teenage years and now adulthood. Sad face. : ( (A student in my third period class always says this when I tell a sad story).

I told the kids in my class that I had to complete this dreadful task... that it made me very sad. Some understood and empathized--and others have yet to experience something like this. I told them that this is real life. Real life isn't about ipods and videogames. It is about the relationships we forge with other people--and even animals. I shared this personal event with them--because I want my students to realize that teachers are human too.

No comments: